Translate to French

Monday 1 January 2024

Midnight fire and insurance realities.

               Midnight.  I heard some noises that night, it sounded somewhat like a dream, at the same time like reality.  I wanted to continue sleeping but the noise and sounds persisted. I thought a thief had been caught in my backyard and was receiving jungle justice.  I woke up to have a better listen from my living room.  As I stepped in, I was almost blinded by the brightness there in!  Just then my neighbor was knocking on my door, “Patience, Patience, there’s a fire!”
               I hurriedly opened my door and behold, my neighbor’s house was in flames. Quickly, I switched off all the electricity meters in our compound and I called my landlord (his entire compound was in danger as the flames were spreading fast).    He said I should call the fire brigade.  I immediately dialed 118.
               This was my first time to call the fire brigade, and was I impressed!  I described where I live and they said they have already sent a fire truck to the site.  That truck took about 15 minutes to get there, when most of the wooden building was already consumed by flames.   They did a great job after all by putting out the flames, however, I wish they had arrived a bit earlier, perhaps some of the building should have survived.

         Now, my neighbor was living in his home with his wife and son.  They had a few tenants.  They didn’t have electricity supply at the time, thus the likely cause must have been a lit candle.  Apparently, a new tenant moved in that same night and caused the fire.  The specificity of my country is that very few people can afford to insure their homes against fire.  Insurance is such a tricky affair.  This example can better explain what I mean:

         In 2007, I was involved in a car accident.  A taxi driver reversed into my car as I was turning into another road.  Since then, my insurer has not paid me a dime for the expenditure incurred repairing my car.  I am told that the insurer of the taxi has declined payment.  So right now, the case is in the “insurance court”.  I wonder how long it will take for me to be paid, if ever.

          I asked my neighbor’s wife to see me the next day.  She came and told me how bad the situation was.  The fire spread so fast that they weren’t able to rescue any belongings.  Fortunately everyone came out safely.  She and her family lost everything.  I gave her some money and my second phone which I wasn’t using often.  I know this is very little compared to what she lost.  However, I believe there is always a place to start being generous.  May God grant me more to help her better eventually.

No comments: