Translate to French

Tuesday 18 February 2014

Summoned to the police station.

One bright Monday morning as I was headed to work, the traffic lights turned red on me in Nlongkak.  In trying to avoid one truck, I went forward and rested the car on the pedestrian crossing line. A police officer on duty walked towards me, identified himself and asked for my car documents. I handed it over to him and he told me that I was not supposed to stop at the pedestrian crossing.  All attempts to explain how I was avoiding the truck were futile.  He said I should come collect my ticket in their nearby office.
            I made a u-turn, pulled over and started eating my breakfast - fruit salad.  I could see the same officer who took my documents in the rearview mirror. At one point he noticed my car, checked the documents to be sure it was me, then came over to talk to me.  He told me that he is waiting for me to come and collect my ticket. I told him that I will come, let me just finish my breakfast.  He walked back to his duty post.
            Meanwhile, I had called a friend who is a police commissioner to come intercede for me.  She advised me to wait until she comes. 
            About thirty minutes later she and I went to the police station.  As she entered the office, the staff stood up and greeted her in the police salute with all seriousness, I almost burst out laughing.  He explained to them that the documents of this responsible civil servant right here have been withdrawn for a minor offense.  

          She told them that in situations like this, they should leave the person with a verbal warning and not ask them to pay a fine.  This is more pleasantly said in French, “on es dans la prevention, pas la repression”.  This means the road safety campaign is geared more towards preventing accidents, rather than oppressing road users for simple traffic offenses. The senior officer called the junior officer who took the documents to return them to me because ‘hierarchy’ has decided that I should be let off with a verbal warning.

            I felt so relieved. I am glad my friend intervened for me to be given only a verbal warning. A fine would have been more painful to bear.  Thank you Commissioner!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

lucky you. tk God you left no comments left unturned. In Europe, same offence committed and the fine had to be paid. No connections.

T! Ntemgwa said...

Thanks for your comment. May I know who you are pls? Always good to include your name. Bless u!

PreXav said...

I was caught in a similar dilemma at that same spot. I went to that container of a police office and asked them to write me up. A female police there was babbling about how much time I'll waste going to pay, and I told them I was fine with a ticket. They checked out the other car documents and gave my licence back on pretext I was 'reglo'.

I still need your Commissioner friend's number though! lol!

T! Ntemgwa said...

Ha ha ha Precious. We learn everyday dear.

Anonymous said...

Oh dear!