Translate to French

Monday 4 August 2014

A misinterpretation of the Law.


One fine Sunday morning, I took the kids for a walk around the big Bastos round about.  Beautiful flowers and trees grace the area.  As I approached the roundabout, I saw the big sign board with the following inscription in French: Yaoundé Urban Council Area. "Sports and leisure activities forbidden. Offenders will be punished".
I thought to myself, sports and leisure activities probably refer to physical exercises and picnics. So I confidently stepped on the lawn and approached the concrete chairs.  One police officer in the nearby police van beckoned to me to come over. I crossed the road to where he was and after introducing himself, he said in French: “Have you read the sign board?”

I said sure I have.  I added that those concrete chairs were put for a reason. I am going over there to have a walk and enjoy the flowers with the kids.  He said no no no, you can’t do that. I just stood there, blankly looking at him in disbelief.  Tell me honestly, if it was you will you go ahead and do your walk or just go home? I went home. I had no intention of spoiling my Sunday.

No comments: